What is Definition of Ready?
Definition of ready is a list that the product owner and team agree to. Think of it as a working agreement between the team and product owner on what readiness means. It is a Input criteria to accepting story in a sprint.
It is a way for a product owner to signal an item in the product backlog as ready to work in sprint. It is the accountability of product owner that there is a definition of ready defined. Scrum team can refuse to take an item into sprint even if definition of ready may be true. This is not a core part of scrum. Many scrum teams follow this useful technique.
DEFINITION OF READY FOR PRODUCT BACKLOG:
- Does the item have a self increment of business value?
- Is this a stack rank well ordered item?
- Is there well understood , simple acceptance criteria for the item?
- Has the team seen this item before sprint starts and spent time talking about it?
- Is the acceptance criteria A5 size only?
- Has the team estimated the backlog item?
- Does the team feel comfortable taking an item into the sprint?
- Can this item be finished within this sprint as per defintion of done.
- What is the teams gut check. If they trust the PO and there is a good convesations and trust, items 1-8 may not always matter too much